Thursday, March 31, 2011

Of interesting ways to begin the day

My psychology class was an interesting experience this morning. We were going through the chapter of mood disorders, which also had a section about suicide tacked onto the end. And a section of self-injury tacked onto the end of that. I was seriously hoping the earth would open up beneath me so that I could hide like a scared little girl and not deal with this. Unfortunately, the earth denied my request. I told myself I was not going to comment on anything in this lecture, BUT, me being me, I ended up talking anyway. Another girl asked why someone would do that and I answered. And once I did I turned away and didn't say another word. I just cried  throughout the rest of the class. Silent crying, mind you. I made eye contact with my professor once, but she knew why I was crying, considering the fact she just read the gender autobiography I had to turn in for Psychology of Women. No one said anything, class ended, I went to fix my make-up in the bathroom (liquid eyeliner bleeds like no other...), and that was it. Interesting morning.

Love,
Alice

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on speaking up. I've been in the same situation and it sucks but more information = more compassion. You might have just spoken up for someone else int he class too afraid to, provided information for a family member who has relatives who SI, or even reversed some bias in a future psychologist. Bias tends to be overcome when people see that these issues happen to real people, not just cardboard cutouts in a textbook.

    ReplyDelete